Saturday, June 6, 2009

Apple and Sultana Cake

I grew up on a dairy farm and in the busy times "calfing" and "Harvesting" mum was on the hop, so her baking became simple and easy. As we are all franticly running around "chasing after our own tails", I thought I would share this little number. I make this cake almost every week. (Ok, I've been a bit off on the cake making for a while, but I'm back now)

What you need : No scales or mixer required !!!



2 Apples, Pealed and Diced
1 Cup of Sugar, I use raw
2 Eggs, beaten with a fork, If you have duck eggs use them
1 1/2 Cups Self Raising Flour, I use whole-meal, normal is ok, don't bother sifting.
1 Cup Sultanas
125g Butter or Marg, melted
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

Add in the Staff




Mix and place in a loaf tin or smallish round



Pop in a moderate oven for 50 - 60 mins, give it a bit of a stab with a skewer, you'll know when its done.

To easy, the hard part is resisting to eat it!



Note : This recipe can be doubled, my neighbors love it!!! Try giving one away, you'll be amazed at what you get in return :)

10 comments:

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

Mmmm, yum. I'll have to give this one a go for sure. I can just imagine how good it smells coming out of the oven.

Leonie Guld said...

Thanks Alisa, the smell is indescribable...

Sherrin said...

That cake looks amazing. I think I'm going to have to try it!

Courtney said...

That looks amazingly yummy, and I'm going to have to try it. I have to ask for clarification points though, I know that Sultana can refer to either just grapes or raisins. It looks in your picture like you're using sultana raisins, but I just want to make sure. :-D
Isn't it fun to have language differences in essentially the same language. lol

Zarah said...

That looks YUMMY! :D

Leonie Guld said...

Hi Courtney, Sultana raisins is what I use. I'm not fussy give what ever you have in the pantry a go. thanks for clarifying. :)

Cassandra Allen said...

We still have a bit of an apple cake left, but I want to try this one soon, looks good. I love simple recipes. Will put my apple cake recipe in my blog comments asap at your request. If it was on the computer it would be much easier, copy and paste. Voila. Gee, I sound lazy!

Angie said...

This I must certainly try!

Cassandra Allen said...

Hello, finally made your apple and sultana cake. So easy. So delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

just made this - beautiful. Cut the sugar in half, was still sweet enough. Used wholemeal flour and half butter half coconut oil. Next time will try all coconut oil!