Monday, June 29, 2009

How it started......

I've been making Fisherman Pants for a few years and have only recently turned it into a business. I just think now it might be time that I explain how it began and why.

I have said before that these pants are not new on the market they have been around for a few years, then seemed to disappear and we couldn't find them, more on that here.

There was a piece of the story that I left out. See the rainbow tag, every pair of pants has this and you wear it in memory of a beautiful friend of mine, Annie. She was my neighbor, full of life, happily married and a sensational mother. She was in her prime when she developed Motor Neuron Disease (also known as ALS).

As the disease started to progress she began to loose function in her hands and required some assistance with buttons and zips. As these are located in quite "personal" areas she started to wear skirts with no undies instead of gaining assistance from family, friends or carers. While we were in her garden, stealing herb cuttings, the wind picked up and I very quickly became aware of what she was upto. With belly laugh's and tears rolling down our faces, I offered to make her some pants she could manage herself without zips or buttons. Thats how it began....

She was a very stylish and fashion conscious woman with her own ideas on what she wanted so we developed the concept of choosing your own fabric. They were her HAPPY PANTS, that what she called them, thats why we have the brightest tag available, to remember a women with spirit, strength, dignity and humility. I will always remember her ability to make us laugh, not just giggle, the big belly laugh's that you get from very special people.

See these pants are very personal to me. I love making them, I love the idea that people have the choice on what they want (most probably for the first time), I love the idea that they are available to people who have full or limited hand function and I love the idea that you would never know the difference.

My dream is that you laugh loudly in these pants, because that is how they were born and that is how she would want it to be.

Love well, Live well. Leonie xx



Trust that this is a very personal blog to write and that people beyond my family are involved, I hope I haven't offended anyone in anyway as that is not my intention.

13 comments:

Gina said...

Thanks so much for sharing this Leonie. What a wonderful (bittersweet) backstory to your passion and business. I think your product and concept is wonderful. This just confirms it for me. One day (post my Wardrobe Refashion pledge!) I'll be looking for some Raglan Guld pants to call my own.

Michelle said...

What a beautiful story you have shared. Thank you so much.

I love your pants. I just wish they went up to chubby size! (and that is not a criticism AT ALL!). I'm going to send your link to my girlfriend though - she looks fantastic in fishermans pants and she loves them too.

Kate Bruning said...

What a beatiful mark of respect to your friend. I love your pants so much - have you worked out a pattern for people with awkwardly short and chubby legs so they look long and lustrous. Have a lovely day!

Clair@Obstinate Pursuit said...

Hey Leonie. You know I read this earlier and just couldn't think of a worthy comment. I'm only here now to let you know I've been thinking about it :)

Lucy Bowler said...

I loved reading this story and just imagining that bittersweet moment over the herb cuttings and that you brought you both to belly laughs. What a beautiful way to remember such a special friend.

Lynne And Emma said...

Hi Leonie
I am wiping away the tears, such a lovely story on how the pants cam about.
Lynne

Angie said...

A lovely post, a reminder to as you say love well, live well.

edward and lilly said...

What an amazing and beautiful story. How lovely to have so much meaning and passion behind your business.

Linda said...

what a wonderful and touching story Leonie she sounds like a very special friend. As I sometimes have difficulty with things through illness and pain such as doing up a bra I can really relate to this story and the reason for your gorgeous pants

Lauren said...

What a fantastic story! Thanks so much for sharing it. Your friend sounds like an amazing woman. What a lovely way to begin. :)

Nichi Kuechle :Contemporary Earth Mama said...

What a touching story and what a good friend you are. I can just picture you in that garden and can easily recall funny instances during my moms bout with cancer when I was in high school.

Cathy (tinniegirl) said...

That's such a beautiful story. Just wonderful.

Emjie said...

That is a touching story. Thank you for sharing.