Monday, July 20, 2009

Its not right, but......... its not all wrong either!

My excitement was high at the prospect of completing my first quilt project, Remember Here . I only had the binding to go. I have never done binding before so I had a good long hard think. I patched the pieces together and realized I needed to press it at equal width for the straight edge. After much contemplation I commissioned the steel ruler, folded and pressed. It worked a treat. (Make sure you keep one end free of the iron, as it does get a little hot!)



Then I had the job attaching it to the quilt. Well this was no simple task, I got my bias corners all wrong and had sewn the binding in to far, causing it not to reach the other side...........I am sure I am not the first person on the planet to do this! So I had another long hard think and this was the result. I am happy with it, even if it is not the "Perfect" quilt. I think it even looks better now, maybe I have just created my own style!!! I'm calling it "The Leonie Guld Designer Stuff Up Quilt"

6 comments:

M* (Melanie) said...

I think it's beautiful Leonie. What's the point of making something by hand if it looks like it's been bought from a shop? For me the whole point of making something or buying something handmade is for the character that is transferred from the maker into that item. That's what makes things special. =)

Leonie Guld said...

Thanks M* I totally agree!!

Kate said...

I think it is a gorgeous quilt! The colours and patterns work so well together. And I totally agree with what Melanie said too.

Lucy Bowler said...

Innovation, I love it! How do you think all of these things were invented?! Your quilt is so beautiful. I hope I finish Tom's sometime this century!

One Flew Over said...

What a wonderful quilt - you have done SO well! BTW: I'm not the biggest fan of attaching binding either!

Leila said...

For your first one you did a fantastic job! Your colors are exciting!