Thursday, July 9, 2009

The perfect photo of an old friend

Today I got lucky, the light was just right to capture my dear old dog Jack. Jack is a very, very special dog. When we were first given Finns diagnosis I lived away from family, I had a hand full of friends and a couple of patient neighbors. I was in a place that I didn't grow up and had no roots (I guess, I was a bit lost). It was exceptionally hard. Finn was incredibly sick and I felt I had no one (out side of my immediate family) to help or understand the grief that comes with having a disabled child. Reality was setting in that Finn would not "grow out of it" or "catch up".

In the most private of moments I would sit out on the deck, with tears flowing and no energy to wipe them away. Without fail Jack would quietly sneak up and put his paw on my knee. The most softest of gestures which gave the greatest comfort. I never wanted to share the raw grief with any one, those moments were kept private and personal but you see I was never on my own, he was always there. Just waiting.......

I am in a much better place now, Finn is happy and healthy and we now have Asha who is a total "free-radical". We live amongst family, (my sisters are still away, I hope they will come home soon) and a extended community that are just sensational. We have a brilliant group of friends who love us just the way we are "warts-n-all" and I must say I love them too.

I guess I have written Jacks eulogy before he is gone, because on the day he goes, I fear I would not be able to write, not even a little bit.

It has been the "perfect" day for a "perfect" picture of a "perfect" old dog.

6 comments:

Lucy Bowler said...

What a beautiful dog. I love their soothing way of just being - almost whatever you want them to be. Sit by me and calm me; walk alongside me and get out in the air; run and catch a ball... all good fun. Just memories for me actually, though, it's been a long time since I've owned a dog. I keep saying I won't get one until I've got Sophie out of nappies so I'm not toilet training two at a time!!

Tania said...

Beautifully written post - and how right you are about capturing him at just the right moment - he looks a kind, wise, perfect dog.

Bird Bath said...

He does look so very wonderful. Sounds like he is very in tune with you.
Good to hear you are settled in a comfortable, supportive community :)

kellie said...

He is lovely. He looks so wise (proven, it would seem). My lab is turning 11 this year. Already I am worrying about "that day". I know I won't cope well.

Kate Bruning said...

There is certainly a lot of wisdom in those eyes. Give him a big scratch behind the ears from me.

Mel said...

Oh what a beautiful fella! He has a very 'knowing' look in his eyes that one. And you're right, you got a great shot there - (not as stunning as your new shot though ;)