Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fruit Crumble

I still have the giggles over yesterdays Typo. So today I thought I would share the secret recipe for feeding all my hungry men. You know..........when they have finished there jobs they are ravenous!!!

Well there is an element of truth to all this fun. This recipe was given to me by a family member who runs a sheep station. Its a favorite with the Shearer's. If you are ever given a recipe from a shearers cook KEEP IT, they are amazing at making large meals with the most basic of ingredients.

FRUIT CRUMBLE

You can use any fruit, apples, apricots, plums, berries, whatever you have in the cupboard or freezer.

2 825g Tins of Fruit - Today I used Peaches (Drained)
1 1/2 cups Plain Flour (I use whole-meal)
1 1/2 cups SR Flour (whole-meal again)
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
1 beaten Egg
250 grams Melted Butter (Half a pound)

Mix-er Up



Press half of the mixture on the base of a large flat dish, I use my lasagna dish and pour in the fruit



Sprinkle the remainder of the crumble on and pop in a 180 degree oven for 3/4 of an hour.....Just keep an eye on it.

Done. Oooooh the smell in the house when this one is cooking......Delicious!!



This is a sample of a Shearers Cook job description -
We are seeking an experienced cook to cater for a shearing team of 9 - 11 persons. The food will be simple home cooked hearty meals with no frills. As a shearers cook you will be expected to provide Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner plus 2x smoko meals. The smoko meals will be cakes, biscuits, small pies and or sausage rolls. Long hours.


They do love there TUCKER!!

5 comments:

m.e (Cathie) said...

sounds like a hard job but well worth it when you make a bunch of shearers so happy!
is that a little chef you have making that delish crumble :)

One Flew Over said...

Oh YUMMO!

Kylie said...

Yummo! Looks fabulous. Thanks for sharing you man-eater you :) K

Jennifer said...

That crumble looks scrumptious, will definitely be trying it out.

ArtMind said...

I'm so going to make this! I love crumbles! :)