Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My Creative Space

This week I started with a bit of this......



and began this.......



I have to say it's dam cool to have a wool dying sister. I ordered this 12 ply from Bendigo Woollen Mills (excellent quality and they sell at wholesale rates!!) and had it shipped direct to Leah. I loved the colors of Germaine Greer but I wanted more green. Well It came a few days ago and I thought I was dreaming!!!!!!

If you are not already in the know, Leah is releasing her new super chick range of sock yarns!! When : Sunday Sep 27 Time : 08.30 Ooooo no sleeping in!!!

For more creative spaces fun, grab a cup-pa and pop over to Kootoyoo.

Help. Does anyone know a website that can convert the names of wool thickness? ie What is 12 ply called in America?

18 comments:

Tammy James said...

oh ... its just breathtakingly beautiful! I love it.
This might help.
http://www.knittersaddiction.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?BlogID=2692&PostID=36207

M* (Melanie) said...

Oh wow Leonie! Your sister rocks in the dying department. The colours are so rich and scrumptious.

Can't help you on the ply question. I didn't realise they had different ply too?

One Flew Over said...

That green is gorgeous...reminds me of the Emerald City!

dillpickle said...

Soooo pretty!!

I think worsted weight is the equivalent of 10-12 ply. That's what I'm working with anyway!!

Have fun with it :-)

Amanda said...

You are so lucky...I absolutely LOVE the colors...

Kirsty said...

It's beautiful!

elk said...

oh the greens just shine in this yarn~wow!

Kate said...

Gorgeous!! Looks like the ocean. I've got to get to Bendigo woollen mills soon.

Michelle said...

Love the colours. A wool dyeing sister would be very handy indeed.

Gina said...

You almost make me want to convert to knitting. Almost.

tea with lucy said...

Yummy!

Hyena In Petticoats said...

Thanks for the shout out Bones - you're a star!

Here's some info on yarn weight for you:


Laceweight = 2ply
Light Fingering = 3ply
Fingering = 4ply
Sport/ DK = 5ply
DK/Light Worsted = 8ply
Worsted No equivalent, suggest Aran
Aran = Aran
Bulky/Chunky = 12 ply
Super Bulky = Super Chunky


Clear as mud?

Leah xxx

Leonie Guld said...

Thanks Lee, I should have asked you in the first place....Dah!!!

Liesl (Hoppo Bumpo) said...

Oooh - that's delicious!

kellie said...

Absolutely sumptious. The colours are so rich!

teresa p said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all knitted up.

Nikki Cardigan said...

The colours are beautiful, just beautiful. So there are two clever, creative people in your family!

Aussie-waffler said...

My absolute favourites, all rolled into one, stunning.