Friday, September 4, 2009

Pincushion Tutorial!

In keeping with Family Tradition (Leah is my sister, if you didn't already know) I thought I would offer a Pincushion Tutorial of my own.



Here we go.......



You Need
2 pieces of remnant fabric
A small bread and butter plate (of any design you want!!)
Strong Thread....I used Upholstery
2 Buttons....Mine are from the opp shop
Stuffing

Special ingredient from Kate@Foxslane, If you add some steel wool to the stuffing it will sharpen the pin's as they go in! What a fantastic Idea!!! Thanks Kate x



Place the butter dish like so.....and cut like so......



Turn inside out and stitch up, making sure you leave a nice handy gap



Turn right way out and ..... stuff the bugger....I always wanted to say that!!



Get that hand stitching happening and seal the hole



Now the fun bit. Grab a longish needle and heaps of cotton. Thread through like so and pull tight



This bit I call "Cutting the Cake" Try to make it as even as possible while pulling the thread super tight



Place a button each side and stitch up...this bit requires super strong fingers and a few grunting sounds



Now thread the needle through the top of the button and poke it out the side



Wrap the thread around the button and thread through like so to tie off really tight. Do this a couple of times.



Ta Da!!!!!! Great for Fete's and Fairs!!!! Have Fun x

12 comments:

Rie said...

Brilliant!
Love the fabric too!

Gina said...

Thanks Leonie, this is really great. I love your descriptions too... I'll get the grunting a-happening!

Sherrin said...

Something else to put on the 'to do' list. I need a new pincushion. The inner lid of the thirty year old sewing box just doesn't cut it anymore!!

Emjie said...

That is so simple. I love it. Thank you for the share.

Kylie said...

Wow! So fabulous and so simple - cool tute, Leonie! Looking forward to stuffing the bugger ;) K

Kate said...

I made a few pincushions last year and when I went to the craft shop the lady told me to add a bit of steelo wool to sharpen the pins as they go in.

Leonie Guld said...

kate - What a fantastic Idea. I'll put that in the tut!! thanks

One Flew Over said...

Thank you, thank you! Great fabric x

Angela said...

What a great project and perfectly explained. Thank you for sharing.

Michelle said...

I've always wanted to make one of these and this is the funniest tutorial I have ever read! Thank you!

bellaina said...

Thank you!

A lovely Post!

Hello from Germany

Sabine

pen said...

excellent timing, i've been using a jam jar for years and i was dreaming of a pincushion. now to choose which scrap of fabric.......