Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Tricks and Bits of the Trade

Today I am sharing some of the short cuts to manufacturing I have learnt along the way. Just a few tips that can save you time and money.

Number 1 - If you are going to cut the same item out repeatedly then I would recommend you invest in some card, avaliable from your local printers. You want it strong to handle wear and tear of repeated use. I store mine flat and have them all marked clear to avoid any mistakes. Don't forget the most basic of rules "Measure TWICE cut ONCE"



Number 2 - Gather up some weights and place the pattern over your fabric (I cut 2 layers of fabric each time). Use a tailoring chalk to trace around your pattern and lift off.



Number 3 - Super Important : Cut on the INSIDE of the chalk line......Why?.......When you cut on the out side, your size will be different every time. As your chalk becomes blunt the line gets thicker, it is very easy to increase your pattern by half a size when cutting on the out side of the chalk line.



Number 4 - Tailoring Shears. If it has been recommended that you purchase large tailoring shears, reconsider that advice. They are hard to handle and heavy. If I was a giant with super size hands then they would be manageable. Save your money and go out to a fine dining restaurant!!



Good Luck and Enjoy! x

11 comments:

edward and lilly said...

Brilliant tips, especially the one about cutting inside the chalk line.

Kylie said...

Wonderful advice Leonie and super gorgeous photos too! I just love the look of scissors sliding through fabric :) K

Cath from chunkychooky said...

top tips love! I agree with the cardboard pattern for sure.

One Flew Over said...

Some great tips, especially the one about cutting inside the chalk line...hmmm would never have occured to me! Thanks Leonie.

ArtMind said...

WOW, I'm not a sewstress at all but I dream of being one sometimes! I love these tips and I feel that soon I'll buy my own sewing machine! :)

CurlyPops said...

Great tips - especially the half a size thing!

Nikki Cardigan said...

Thanks you for sharing the stuff that's in your head Leonie.

Clair said...

So useful. I'm sure it would have taken me a long time to figure these tips out by myself. Thanks Leonie x

Jennifer said...

Those are great tips, thanks for sharing them.

Kate Bruning said...

You are my Martha Stewart - don't do any insider trading though.

Lisa T said...

Thanks for the tips. I am just about to start a sewing course (I am self taught - need help!!) and I love getting tips from those 'in the know'.

Love you blog.

Thanks again
Lisa