Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Looking After Special Patterns

Its Ashas birthday soon so...... I wanted to make her a pretty dress for summer. I decided to invested in this Oliver & S pattern, with the intention of making it over and over again. I am typically the type of person who goes FLAT OUT, cuts away at patterns and then has to re-purchase new one's when the kids get older....This time I thought I would try a different angle......this pattern cost $25, it's worth the care and attention!

I have stumbled upon "Easy Trace" (should be available at your local fabric store), its cheaper than interfacing and will protect patterns from wear and tear. I placed it over the pattern, weighed it down with some paper weights and set to work tracing out the size I required. The sizing of this dress pattern should last about 5 seasons, I have a gorgeous niece that may like one to, so I am keen to keep the original in mink condition.



Note....this is a TRY WITH CALICO first type of pattern. I have already stuffed up my first attempt........I am sure its all user error.......I'll keep you posted! If the second attempt is thrown across the room then the pattern will be offered as a giveaway, for the experienced dress maker only!!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ooooh a fancy bought pattern, what fun. Looks like a lovely one. I am definitely going to check out that easy trace stuff and cannot wait to hear (and see) how the second attempt goes.

Jennifer said...

Can't wait to see how it turns out. It looks like a really cute pattern.

CurlyPops said...

I just bought a shorts pattern thismorning - sizes 2-6. I knew I was far too lazy to trace out the different sizes so I headed straight to officeworks and photocopied it so I can just cut out each size separately.