Thursday, October 29, 2009

Summer and I'm Sober.....

Tonight is one of those nights that I would love a glass of Wine, a Shandy or maybe (my true friend) a Pimm's. The weather is perfect, just heating up for Alfresco dining, BBQing with friends and spending days at the beach...BUT I dont drink any more and I am not pregnant..... so this is when I reach for my book of tricks!



One of the things I loved about wine, was the glass. It made me feel less like a run down sloppy mum of two and more like a woman of the world....So I take my wine glass along, when at a resturant I order my soda water in a wine glass so I can still feel special.

Sneaky tricks to stop people asking....

Ginger beer bottle in a stubby holder looks the same as a VB
Vodka looks the same as soda water
Apple juice looks the same as a deep chardie

When people ask me for a drink and they start to get on my back, this is my response.....

"So Leonie do you want a drink?" ............. No thanks, I'll be right

"Oh common just have one" ..................Oh...I am sorry but your table doesn't look strong enough for me to dance on, I really do need a good sturdy table to support my high kicks!!

That should shut them up.......but then sometimes you get the fool...you know the village idiot!!

"Oh common on.....one wont kill ya" ............This is when I get a little closer, I look them dead in the eye, plant my feet firmly on the ground and say.... Are you trying to rail road me?

I have never got to the next step.......but you could imagine what they would be told!!

For the record I will have a special drink tonight, one I save for these beautiful warm evenings, a Lemon, Lime and Bitters, in a wine glass.....Perfect!

Dave will have a beer...lol....I don't mind at all, he can handle the grog...it was his Mrs that couldn't!!

17 comments:

One Flew Over said...

I certainly can imagine!

It's funny how some people don't grow out of pressuring their peers.

BTW: Posted off a little pack for you today and given you ummed and aahh between green and red, I sent a bit of both x

Kate said...

That post just made me a bit teary. you are a beautiful and brave woman Miss Leonie. Enjoy your special drink in your special glass. Cheers. XX

Andi said...

Nice tips love!!

Gina said...

I'm taking notes ;-)

Kate Bruning said...

I am so daunted by my first summer without drinking - I am going to find my special drink too and I am going to get those little umbrellas to go with it.

Mel said...

You are so dead right about the glass and I think I need to take that tip. I have never been one to drink a glass of wine every night - usually just when I went out (and then I could rival you for dancing on the table. I'd usually demand a microphone as well!). BUT since my miscarriage I seem to be making up for lost time and for a while there was having a glass every night. I know that's probably pretty normal but I was starting to REALLY look forward to it and that worried me (should it? I don't know?). I reckon it was ALL to do with the glass and something nice and cold and especially for me. And I also reckon Lemon Lime and Bitters could be just as satisfying! xx

beck said...

I am new to your blog so I should introduce myself. My name is Beck and I have enjoyed reading your last few posts. And yep, it's all about the glass. And don't forget to chill it in the freezer too. Hope you have a lovely summer, I'm sure it will be a beauty! xo

Tania said...

All I'm saying Lady, is that you are one hell of an 'INSPIRE'. And yes, I meant to spell it incorrectly. 'Inspiration' sounded poncy.

Clair said...

Maybe a few mocktails are in order? Here's my favourite - The Arnold Palmer!

•1 part iced tea •1 part lemonade •Sugar or other sweetener •lemon, mint, or a slice of kiwi

1.Pour iced tea and lemonade over ice and sweeten to taste. 2.Stir and add lemon, mint or kiwi as garnish.

Let me know what you think :)

Jennifer Rose said...

they would just go find a stronger table here :p

Cath from chunkychooky said...

... and one could ask oneself why others would feel so threatened by your decision NOT to drink.

Kylie said...

My hubby's doing Oct-sober (you know, like Mo-vember but instead of growing a mo for a cause he's been abstinent) and he's actually enjoying it... though it has been really hard for him. The pressure he's been under from friends to give in and have a drink has been huge! What is that? So many people think they can only have a good time if they drink, so you must too? I can understand how it happens and habits form I guess.
Anyway, sorry for blabbing away... You have been amazing with the techniques you've used Leonie - it takes a lot to withstand that kind of pressure and fighting yourself too I guess. Good on you! It's good to show others that it's not the other way to go too, I think.
Stay strong, babe :) K

m.e (Cathie) said...

i love your honesty, i love how you just say it, and i love that you inspired me to have a lemon lime & bitters last nite after reading your beautiful post!
i am also a non drinker, don't really understand what beer is all about or wine. i might add some sparkling water to white wine or cordial, but it's not something i long for.
last few months i have celebrated with a glass of port every so often because that's what my dad used to offer me...
{hugs}

p.s i've got a good summer drink for the special wine glass, take a couple of punnets of strawberries, add a couple of tablespoons of icing sugar, wizz it up in the blender then put it through a sieve, put it in the fridge, put some in your fabuloso wine glass, add some sparkling mineral water and voila, strawberry mocktail!

m.e (Cathie) said...

ooops...hope you didn't fall asleep reading all that... ♥

Anonymous said...

Hi - as the child of an alcoholic, it makes me so happy to read your post. I just wish my Mum had been able to do what you are doing. Good on you!! And I agree - its hard enough as it is without idiots trying to make you have a drink - I think our government should look more at grown-ups and their dinking habits in this country: its not only binge-drinking teens who have the wrong attitude to alcohol!

Anonymous said...

I love your honesty - its refreshing to read. My little boys is "Finny" too - he's 6 and asked me the other night why I drink so much wine.... Gotta love the honesy of kids to make you start questoning something you probably already knew - but too scared to acknowledge.... Love to you and your Finny.

twitchy fingers said...

Brave post. I don't understand the pressure to drink - and you see it more when you're on the 'non' side too! Summer makes it tougher too.

I always said it was about the glass too - but when I was drinking it didn't matter what vessel the alcohol came in! I look at that glass now and see my family, my self respect and my future - they'd all be gone.