Tuesday, December 15, 2009

At the beginning....

When I decided to go "public" with making pants, a woman I met proceeded to tell me "Oh its easy, just make them up, shove them in a plastic bag and send them off!" I new instantly that was NOT the way I wanted to go. There is far to much love, care and attention given to these pants to just "shove" them in plastic, let alone the "environmental" issues that we are all aware of.

Like most things I headed into the past to find some answers. I stumbled across an image of a woman, maybe late 1800's, holding a brown paper package, tied up with string containing her new tailored garments. PERFECT!



So now every pair of pants are wrapped in tissue paper, brown paper and string. All is able to be popped into the compost or recycling bin. I do spend a little extra on cardboard envelopes over the plastic one's because its important to me and its what I believe in. I hope it is appreciated because I think there is nothing better than a beautifully wrapped gift, something to make you feel special and cared for.

Please Note : Christmas Trading - Raglan Guld will remain open for orders, however manufacturing will be closed between 18 Dec - 4 Jan. I am sorry for any inconveniences this may cause.

Oh....Don't forget our Christmas Cheer Giveaway!

8 comments:

Nikki Cardigan said...

It is possible to find a balance between beauty and our impact on the world. And your beautiful pnats deserve not to be shoved!

Good to see you are having a break over Christmas.

CurlyPops said...

I have that same plastic bag dilemma when packaging parcels, especially in winter. Do you ever worry about things getting wet?

Michelle said...

I've always used paper bags to pack my bags in, and then sent them in the carboard envelope. For the market on the weekend I wanted to get bigger bags and did a lot of research on which were the best (and cheapest) and also which would be most useful should I have to get a pack of 500 of them! I picked a larger non-gussetted paper bag and it was brilliant! So I understand the care you have gone to - it's important!

Leonie Guld said...

I do. This was a major concern of mine and then I thought that I would just try it out. I was prepared to replace any items damaged and so far so good. I haven't had any problems at all!! I did realize that colored tissue paper would cause a problem with staining when wet so I keep to the white.

Tania said...

Sing along everyone...

Brown paper packages, tied up with string,
These are a few of my favourite things.

Don't for a second think that stuff like that goes unnoticed! I always appreciate packaging care...

Cath from chunkychooky said...

I agree with Tania. A lot of thought goes into my packaging ( also brown paper and string) plus a personalised handwritten note on a handmade card... so i notice how others do it too.

I use the cardboard envelopes for the same reasons. Greener. kinder. compostable

Sally said...

I certainly LOVED receiving mine!

red or gray said...

your pants...brown paper...string...bliss!