Monday, December 14, 2009

First Fruit of the Season!!

Its about this time of year that I start to eat may way around the garden. The fruit trees are well on there way and all the family (and friends, and neighbors) are waiting for there first pickings. I'll let you have a sneak peek at one of my favorites!!!

Its a Loquat Tree.

This Fruit is delicious!! You'll be hard pressed to find it in any stores because once the fruit has been picked, it must be eaten fresh due to spoiling.

So how do you eat them?



Peal the skin like so.....



Then bite into it watching out for the pip...Warning...Do not chew the pip, best to just spit the bugger out!!!

What does it taste like? Sweet, its almost a cross between a apricot and a pear, very hard to explain, if you see one just have a go...nick it from over your neighbors fence...it's worth the risk in getting caught!!



Oh...and dirty gardening hards are essential to the dining experience!!

6 comments:

kyliekin3 said...

yum yum!!

Michael said...

Thanks for this great information, i will try to arrange this fruit in my Christmas fruit baskets

Maggie said...

gosh, I didn't know you could peel them. I've just been eating them with the skin on. We have a tree at our block of flats, nobody eats them, so I pick them for my sister in law from Mexico who loves them, I eat a few, but really they all go to her.

Thea said...

This really brings back memories. We had these in our backyard in Ipswich, QLD growing up. So lovely to have your own fresh fruit. Enjoy!

Lola Nova said...

Ah, such pleasure to eat from the garden! We are on the opposite end of the growing season and I am missing the harvest. I have been doing some winter gardening in the way of planning next years planting, all whilst in the comfy chair with a cup of hot tea. I have yet to spot a neighbor with a loquat tree, I will keep my eyes on the look out next year!

Jes said...

Can you preserve them? I've never tried one (they obviously don't grow way up here). Look yummy though.