Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I lost my mind once....

There was many reasons for it.......many, many factors are involved in the complex web of my mind.....this was just one!

My world once looked like this..... let me explain..



Say the big pink is me, big red is Dave and the whites are the kids. We are sitting in my inner circle of me. See....we are a little squashed, because I have let the whole world in, family..the dead weight kind, friends...the needy kind and strangers...the greedy kind. So I have done this all to myself in my "save the world mission" Everyone is welcome to come into my world to grab my love, generosity, food, clothes, goods....what ever any one needs, they were welcome.

CRASH...Depression, anxiety, obesity, DESPAIR.....

It's taken years....I tell you...a dam long time....but I have done it....We are now looking like this....



Up the top....My inner circle. MYSELF, Dave and the kids....Highest Priority.
Down one...My family...the ones I love and cherish...the ones that are good for me, I hold them close, real close.
Next Step...My friends...They come with wisdom in their bones, they are self reliant, strong and non crowding. They stimulate my mind, they challenge me, they love me...and I love them...they know who they are....
Lucky last...My world, the people I meet, the friends of friends, the community, the wider network.

Its always changing, as I get older I realize these beads will travel around like the solar system, some of them come closer for a while, some stay and some pass on.

So...now I understand the ripple effect....If I am strong, have not given everything away and are healthy, I am then in far greater condition for my environment.....I can do more....time is less waisted...I can help the people I love and sometimes even strangers (when they are in genuine trouble)........I am no longer, squashed, emptied out or hollow. xxoo

20 comments:

Jennifer said...

Just the way it should be.

Anonymous said...

I love this description & the way you are so honest with us. I need to learn to keep those 'barriers' up, to protect my family(and me).Thank you for all your sharing...from one of those floating out in the solar system of your days

One Flew Over said...

Well done Leonie, it sounds like you have really turned things around xx

Anita Meade said...

What a great visual representation! I completely relate. Thanks for sharing a little of your story. I'm inspired by the way you have worked to make the changes you (and your family) needed to make. The wellbeing of your "inner circle" is what matters most in this world. When that is taken care of, everything else falls into place. Hugs, Anita.xxoo

Andi said...

What a beautiful post.
Such a wonderful illustration of your social world and such an elegant and sensible response.
Keep it up!!
Andi :-)

Cat said...

That is THE BEST metaphor for life ever. You've said so much that pretty much all of us can learn from. Thank you for sharing. I am bookmarking this post to revisit it again and again and again. xo

The Craft Gypsy said...

Wow Leonie, what a great explanation - I can really relate to your description. And well done you for getting on top of it and for having the strength to focus on what's REALLY important in this life. Hugs xx

dillpickle said...

Thank you for a great reminder, and the visual aid is perfect!

Kylie said...

This is great. I need to print out this photo and put it somewhere I see it often... just to remind me of how my priorities should work :) Thanks for this Leonie. K

Kate said...

Well done Leonie, This is such a hard lesson to learn and also such an important one. I find I have to learn it over and over. Its great to hear that your inner circle is for VIPs only.

nevin said...

I should never forget that..

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

That's great! This is a really tricky life lesson, especially for all the big happy friendly puppies out there, you know the ones that love everyone and can't imagine anyone would ever hurt them. I know because I am one. : )

Anna Bartlett said...

Great. Logical. Inspiring. Thanks.

m.e (Cathie) said...

once again, thank you Leonie for sharing a little bit more of you. look after yourself & your inner circle.
hugs x

Rachel said...

great post Leonie! It so refreshing to see courage to share. My circles a bit like your first pic well. Take care

Jasmine said...

Wise woman. Have you read Kerry Armstrong's book?

Your post reminds me of the saying "I am a still point in a turning world". xx

Kirsty said...

You're a wise one! Love this. x

Linda said...

I have been glancing at your blog from time to time and really enjoy how down-to-earth you are. I love how you write the word shit a lot because I say it a lot...probably even when I shouldn't. I am starting to feel like the first example you diagrammed, and I don't like it one bit. I am feeling like I do too much but none of it is very good. Anyway, thanks for the illustration, and I absolutely adore your sense of humor.

Linda said...

this is wonderful so glad you have got to this stage, I first read about the Circles in a book by Kerry Armstrong and it is fabulous

homehearthappiness said...

I wish I could have read this 18 months ago - it's brillian to something so important put so simply in a visual context. Good on you for doing this - it's something I'm working on and it does feel great when you get it right! x