Friday, January 29, 2010

Alarm Bells are RINGING

I think we could be in BIG trouble if this continues.......

It's no secret that I run Raglan Guld from home. It's been just over 12 months since I began this fantastic adventure which I love every day. Not only do I get to make some fab pants, I also indulge myself with photography and writing. Raglan Guld has given me the chance to express myself in a way I could never before and I LOVE IT!!!!

BUT..........There has been a cost..............

Sometimes I am a little "slow on the uptake" with how our family is going until I get a flash of....what would you call it....insight....that makes me realize that the picture I see maybe blurred.



I have a Mac, when I receive emails I get a "Ping" sound that I can hear throughout the house. The thing is......while having a cuddle with Dave on the couch....he said..."You have mail".......Hmmmmmm...This is not good. The kids are finally asleep, we are having some quality time and now HE is starting to be aware of the "PING".

The email is not the problem, Dave is not the problem, the computer is not the problem, I AM THE PROBLEM....Why? The computer is my responsibility, Dave is a bricklayer, he has no need for computer skills, so I am the only one who has control over this key board. ITS TIME........................I am setting some BUSINESS HOURS!!!

RAGLAN GULD will now be open 9 - 3.00 Monday - Friday. My sunday photo will now be relocated to a Friday. Then the computer goes OFF!!! All emails will be responded to within these hours.



I have to do this. I do not want my kids to remember Mum at the computer, not being able to help, play, hold or the most important.......listen!!!!

When I started, I thought I would have to manage Raglan Guld all hours of the day and night, I could not make people wait for responses and I needed to address any emails asap....Its my old business training. Well I think I had it all wrong. When dealing with businesses online I now realize........they are not open 24 hours, they are run by humans and FAMILIES are involved.

Just recently on Post Secret someone's son or daugher wrote something like......... "Dad's laptop has destroyed my life".

If I don't listen to these alarm bells then I am a fool. I want to be here for a long time, I love what I do, I love my readers to bits and I want to be involved BUT not at a cost. Not at a cost to these babies, that it's my shared responsibility to raise into wonderful adults and to a husband, I want by my side until...........the day I die.

I have written in my profie....."This blog is reflective of my life, battles, joys and loves." This is one of those BATTLES that I have to WIN!


18 comments:

dillpickle said...

Good call, Leonie. I'm sure that it wont be easy some days - retreating to the computer feels a bit like escaping sometimes - but you won't regret it!

Kylie said...

Hi Leonie - it is a very important issue, I agree. I heard those alarm bells when my daughter was two. I'd been studying and working hard on assignments etc for a while. One day I asked her to do something for me and she said, "Not now, mummy, I'm doing my assignment!" That was wake-up day for me. I think you're absolutely right... it's just a matter of finding balance in your life and not forging ahead in one area at the expense of another. Very happy for you :))

Now, having said that... Can I apologise in advance if I comment out of time? ;) I've been having problems opening your page lately (in fact I'm just about to go back and see posts I've missed). So, I'm grabbing the opportunity to comment whenever I can get your page to open.

Lovely post. Thanks. Kx

Andi said...

Nice one!!

Michelle said...

Well done, Leonie. I found the same thing when Buttontree Lane was my only job - I would be on the computer from 9 in the morning until midnight, sometimes. It just didn't make sense!! So the moment the Mister walked through the door at the end of the day, the computer was shut off, and I rarely use it on weekends either.

My life has been made better by the computer, but by golly I am not going to let it take over my life!!

Georgie Love said...

I agree and am not on the mac when the muppet is awake, because I feel the same - it's so hard, but family has to come first. And customers get that with one-lady run business, they absolutely do!

m.e (Cathie) said...

love it, Leonie it's just before 3pm so I will ping & wish you a gorgeous weekend my friend.
smile and enjoy the cuddles, giggles & some screams aswell.

Jennifer said...

Good for you!

Cath from chunkychooky said...

I should really do the same. I have certain rules I abide by with the computer. If Busy is awake and unoccupied ( ie she doesn't have a friend here)or she is not totally engrossed in something I am with her playing. I make sure if we are playing I log off and shutdown the computer so I don't know if i have an email. Chunkychooky does need some business hours though... very good food for thought.

katiecrackernuts said...

Good for you. Our kids are, er, adults and older teens so are not really that fussed, but family time for us is sitting about having a cuppa together and everyone stops for that. Always nice.

Sarah said...

brilliant move....

Megan said...

definitely no fools over at the guldie household. great decision - cuddles definitely win over email, and children quite possibly think that they should (and probably do)win over cuddles as well. i bet you don't miss that computer on weekends at all, mainly because its not very good at cuddles

Taylor Made said...

Good for you!!!!!! Happy weekending to you.

Amy Paul said...

On ya - darling.

Well done for pulling your head up out of it to look around! I think I need to take a page out of that book too.

Have a lovely Sunday with your loves.
xx

Nikki Cardigan said...

The same bells are ringing here too Leonie. Absolutely nothing and no one is as important as the people in your house. You are a clever lady.

tea with lucy said...

Wise words Ms Leonie!

I need to take heed.

The little one has started saying "tapity tap, tapity tap" which is what her father always says when I'm too engrosed in my laptop, and not my family.

Carly said...

Oh Leonie...you are wise beyond your years my dear friend. I will take your words of wisdom and try wholeheartedly to apply them to my home. I don't even have a business to run, I've just been completely drawn into this Facebook thing and all of the ridiculous games that go along with it like 'Country Story'!! I will sometimes find myself waiting up until midnight in order to harvest cartoon egglplant crops...it's completely insane!
Yesterday in fact Jacob (2) was looking for me and what room did he go to first? The 'puter room. I wasn't actually in there at the time but he knows which room I'm most likely to be in...sad huh?
Anyway, enough of the waffle.
Thank you for the wake up call.
C x

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

So very true. I think I need to print this post out for as a reminder to myself. Bub comes first, I'm sure my customers and readers will understand.

One Flew Over said...

I have the same problem and I am not even running a business from home.

The most LIBERATING time was when I was away in Jan, which meant no computer. It showed me that it's not the end of the world if I don't check my blogroll/email/flickr etc.

Less time at the mac has meant more time living and crafting.