Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Edible Garden

So the question has been asked over at Ro's.....

Got any backyard produce dish stories bloggerites?

It made me think about what we do here and what I consider NORMAL maybe a TREAT to someone else.

Every night I grab my cane basket and head out for a walk into the garden for a mini harvest. I don't even think about it really, it's just a part of the routine. The kids come along and we chat away at what we are going to have for tea.

Heres our creation for last night.....



Mix and Match Linguini Bolognese

Small clump of chives
A few sprigs of parsley
2-3 stems of oregano
Heaps of basil - say...a good hand full
Hand full of Kale
Hand full of grated Zucchini (currently a stable in every possible dish as we have SOOOO MUCH!!)
Hand full of grated Carrot
1 Onion - finely chopped
2 cloves of Garlic
1 Green Capsicum
Mushrooms - purchased
Premium Mince (small amount) - purchased
Tomato pasta sauce - Home made
Pasta - purchased
Cheese - purchased

Cook up all the ingredients leaving out the mince, set aside, cook up the mince, mix them all together at the end and add the sauce. Serve with grated cheese and cracked pepper.

Side Dish....

Salad

Grated Beet-root
Grated Carrot
Grated Cheese - purchased
Lettuce
Baby Spinach
Boiled Eggs
Chives
Basil
Tomatoes
Spring onions
Cucumber

Desert...

Apple's
Frozen Yoghurt - purchased

On a good night there would also be fresh bread BUT.....the kneading paddle from my bread maker has gone missing in action! I only hope it hasn't gone in the chook bucket!!!

This is an average sort of night for us...Nothing fancy, but looking at it all written down, it makes me realize that growing a veggie garden is not only a smart economical and environmental choice...it's just down right HEALTHY!!



"UNDIE RUN"
Vietnam Orphans Treasure Chest

CUT OFF DATE Saturday 20th March.





7 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

ost of the year, our place is like this too... its so lovely.

katiecrackernuts said...

Sounds delicious. I need to get into my garden this weekend. So much to do. I am being lazy after a run of being super busy.
Oh, and I have lost many a cooking implement to the compost bucket.

Jennifer said...

Yum, that looks scrumptious.

RoLuc said...

I just wish more people did it! Why not grow your own. People that have the space and don't even grow herbs must just be lazy. The work that needs to go into is something everyone should do. The planet would be a lot healthier with less transport used to ferry around our food.

kello said...

mmmmm living food...glad we got to share the delicious veggies from your garden. Girls have been enjoying your chutney with lamb in wraps.

Anna Bartlett said...

We've only recently got the whole vege garden thing going and I have to say, I'm loving it. And the tomatoes are to die for. Love that you have made a side salad too - am trying to educate the kids to do some meal prep so we might start with that...

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

I can’t wait until our garden is up to that again. We are giving I a break at the moment as it was getting really sad in the summer heat. We currently have our first green mulch crop in to prep the soil for our autumn planting. The asparagus, herbs and chillies are still going strong amongst all of the “mulch” and the days are cooling so it wont be long now until it is productive again.