Thursday, March 4, 2010

My Creative Space

This week with my MOJO Missing I thought it best to get the kids organized and I got quite a surprise!!

Here I was running a house with all their creative bits and bobs tucked away in cupboards thinking that it was the PROPER thing to do, preventing it getting dragged from one end of the house to the other.....WRONG!!!! Heres what I have learnt this week about the psychology of a 4 and 9 year old........

If they can SEE what they have to play with, then all WONT get dragged out!!!
If they can SEE their stash, they will only choose one or two projects at a time!!!
If they can SEE what they require, they can grab it without any assistance encouraging independence!!
If they can SEE their options, they have the FREEDOM to CHOOSE what they want, rather than being encouraged by their mother to play with something that I THINK would be fun!! (I think we are all a bit guilty of that one!)
If they can SEE where it is kept and can access it freely they take FULL RESPONSIBILITY TO PUT IT AWAY!!!

It all makes sense really...I don't know why I have been playing this cupboard game with them for so long (which wasn't working...they had stuff EVERYWHERE!), when I myself love to have all my gear at arms reach!!! Sometimes parenting is full of loads of DAH moments!!



Oh....I almost forgot!!

I found this SENSATIONAL laminated craft board from Bunnings (hardware store) for $4.00 and it is BRILLIANT for play dough and paints. I did tape the sides with book binding tape to ward off wear and tear while it is getting dragged around the house! PERFECT!!



For more creative spaces fun, grab a cup-pa and pop over to Kootoyoo.



"UNDIE RUN"
Vietnam Orphans Treasure Chest

CUT OFF DATE Saturday 20th March.

22 comments:

Liesl (Hoppo Bumpo) said...

Oh Leonie, you have so made me realise I need to reorganise all our art & craft stuff! I'll just have to take a deep breath and have faith that there won't be paint and texta up the walls while I hand the washing out!

Love how inviting all those baskets on the shelf look.

Leonie Guld said...

I know, I know EXACTLY what you are FEARING!!! I was to...but its strange...it works a TREAT!!

I purchased the baskets from a Warehouse Discount store 2 for $2 they have worked well, BUT watch out that the pens and texas don't fall out of the holes. I have stuffed up a bit but I just wanted to see how it all went before I made some nice wooden ones. L x

Kirsty said...

It's a lightbulb for sure.

I did have everything in a cupboard but then in see through icecream containers which I got from reverse art.

It's amazing that stuff actually goes back in the right spot.

I love your board too.

One Flew Over said...

What a FANTASTIC creative space for your kids!!

Nikki Cardigan said...

Parenting and life are full of DAH moments Leonie. Rather than get annoyed that we missed a seemingly obvious "dah moment", I reckon we only need to worry when the dah moments stop!

Your family updated space looks great.

Luisa @ Dance in my garden said...

That's so funny, i have been chasing a new (well a thrifted one!) craft cupboard for my kids!
the current one (which is an older kitchen cupboard) is too small with lots of fiddly drawers and the like... and is overflowing.
I like the idea of everything laid out like yours - that is a plan for me too..wish me luck on my search.

zofia said...

That board looks good...still to try the little man with playdough. The other 2 were not huge fans.
The stuff in boxes is too true, just trying to fit it all together is my challenge!

m.e (Cathie) said...

really, it gets put away...REALLY!!
not in this household, I need to get that DAH moment soon.
we don't have cupboards, too many things exposed. maybe it's an age thing.

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

You have unknowingly hit on a BIG component of the Montessori Method! We don’t follow it strictly here, because I am not organised enough, as you have seen by popping into my chaotic creative space today! But I love the principles behind it and try to incorporate the things that will work for me into our days. Displaying toys and materials on shelves is one of the principles that works really well for us.

crzylady said...

Yea for child independence. My four year old has the bins and shelves and tubs :) and we have a LITTLE bit of a hard time with ONE Thing at a time because she loves to mix her media :) but we manage and it's awesome because we share craft/play room so we craft together :)

Kylie said...

Bunnings is a magical place :) I totally get the 'see' principle... wish I'd thought of it when mine were little! Great idea. Kx

CurlyPops said...

Hmmmm craft board you say? Maybe that might be a good replacement for my crumpled pieces of white cardboard that I use when taking photos?

CurlyPops said...

PS - I have those same coloured baskets for my craft supplies. Snap!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Very Montessori. we are big fans here of that. they do learn one toy out at a time and put the other one back before you get the next one out. It looks great.

Leonie Guld said...

I had never heard of Montessori before today...Must Look it up!

Clair said...

I'd never really thought about this principle, but I suppose if it works for us, it's going to work for little people too. Love your thoghtfulness x

Michelle said...

Looks lovely Leonie, maybe I need to overcome my fear of the walls being decorated too - although our walls are a hideous colour so maybe if someone did decorate them I would get off my butt and paint them...

Anna Lloyd said...

Looks very organized, it reminds me of the tubs at playgroup lined up on the shelves neatly...

Megan.K. said...

It must be the season for it, because I too am in the process of re-organising melli's crafting materials and toys... on display on wooden shelves just like this.
She's only three, so the putting them away thing isn't always going to plan... but knowing there is a special "home" for things really helps her start to understand this process.
x

Sarah said...

Love all your craft baskets lined up, how fab! Great that you managed to resolve the 'stuff everywhere' scenario!

katiecrackernuts said...

Yah for the "der" moment.

Gina said...

Oh Leonie, , thanks for the insight! I will try to take a leaf out of your book. Well, maybe in a year or two when my boys are a bit further past the 'eat it or break it' stage.