Thursday, June 3, 2010

Discipline

"Discipline is the instant willingness and obedience to all orders, respect for authority, self reliance and teamwork. The ability to do the right thing even when no one is watching or suffer the consequences of guilt which produces pain in our bodies, through pain comes discipline." --United States Marine Corps

So...that's what Disipline means....so before I venture thru this gate and enter our home I have to decide how to handle the troops.



See they are in there...feeling better after 4 days of being held captive with the flu. Energy is building in their little bodies to the point of full restoration. Don't mind their mother, who is 2 days behind them and just wants to put her feet up, sip on lemon and honey followed by a nice peaceful kippa.

Here's the problem....they have distroyed everything...its like a war zone. They have paints, play doh, leggo...shit everywhere!!!!!!! They have to take responsibility for it.....they are old enough(4&9)...they can clean it up!!!

So...whats this mum to do...I have no voice, no energy and no spirit to fight.

Solution.....BURN THE TOYS!!!

I have quietly placed my self next to the fire, opened the door and........Oh.......look at what has happened!!!!



Paper Dolly....Gone!! Bob the Builder and My little ponies....NEXT!!!

The kids.......PANIC...TEARS....You name it they presented the LOT!

Mum....calm, silent, pretending that guilt doesn't exist!!!

Fast Forward, half an hour...House Clean, Manners have returned and they are sitting very peacefully in front of a DVD.

War Staged, War Fought, War Won!!!!

18 comments:

Lynne said...

It is terrible but an occasional temper tantrum or irrational act on the part of the mother does seem to improve behaviour.

mylittlebirdie said...

what a fabulous post i know someone who used the vacuum cleaner as their weapon of choice. worked a treat. love it! am stockpiling these for a little down the road : )

Michelle said...

Go you! You're a warrior!

Michelle said...

Ooh nice one! I'll have to try one day.

Another parenting triumph Leonie!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I love it. sometimes they need to be reminded who is actually running the show. hope you feel better soon. xx

Kylie said...

Good on you, Leonie! I am so with you. Everyone always told me what a mean mother I was when my girls were younger and now they're the same ones exclaiming over why my kids are so well behaved and respectful when theirs aren't! You go girl!!! Kxxx

Sandrine said...

Love that post!Oh goodness at that rhythm I could burn the whole bedroom sometimes :)Hope the flu goes away!

Anonymous said...

You didn't really burn all their toys did you? Well, I suppose it will teach them a lesson, hope you feel better soon.

Jacqueline

twitchy fingers said...

I so need a fire... The lady next door uses a green garbage bag and rattles it menacingly...

Caroline said...

I want to laugh (at you), I want to cry (for the kids)...or maybe I am just crying from laughing. I love that you photographed the burning dolly! Go you.

CurlyPops said...

Ah ha ha! Who says that good always wins over evil.... if only I had an open fire to burn things on.

kiko said...

ooh I just LOVE this post. We have all been there and good to know I am not alone.

I have packed up my kids toys in trash bags and put them in front of the house and pretended to call the garbage man....oh I have so been there.

thank you for sharing.

Kate said...

So nice to know that it is not just me! Things have been vacuumed here after being left on the floor, but they are getting better at cleaning up!

Aubrey said...

Sometimes you just need to resort to these methods, all of the above are great 'weapons'. I used to find rattling the kitchen drawer where the wooden spoons were kept worked a treat too.

katiecrackernuts said...

I have no fire but we've put stuff out on the front lawn where the "council pickup" happens.

crochet with Raymond said...

Stunning work! I am greatly impressed! I love how you took the time to photograph the burning doll for everyone's enjoyment! Great post today, may healing blessings come your way, feel better soon!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Wow and well done! I think I'll be saving this idea for the future when needed!

the textured leaf said...

lightbulb!
now your email makes sense! how did i miss this?
you rock!
x