Monday, November 22, 2010

Bonus Year

I'm just back from town and I have had an encounter that only the gods could have arranged.

All year Dave and I have been wondering about our decision to hold Asha back for a bonus year of kinda. She is December born and if we send her to school this coming year she will be the youngest in the class and to be honest we have concerns that she is not ready. So a bonus year was decided and all systems were put in place. I was still a little...errrrrh about it all. I needed to look at the choice we were given objectively, not emotionally....bloody hard to do as a PARENT!



So...today....here I was in a local store, purchasing a hat for Asha and the man behind the counter starts up a little chit chat with her. "I'm 5 soon" she pipes up..."Oh...so you are off to school next year?"...I politely say that Asha is going to have a bonus year at kinda next year. His wife who was close by, says to me with kind eyes "Thats the best decision you could have made", my response...........Please say more!!!

"I have 3 girls and 1 boy, my youngest is now in year 12, they were all "late in the year babies" and we held them all back. They have gone extremely well in year 12 and the "Driving and going out on the weekend issues are fine".......He says...."Our kids are all great kids and we have no regrets now, even though at the time our parents thought we were making a huge mistake. "

This is what I needed, the crystal ball is still foggy but at least I have heard from another perspective. I needed reassurance that at the "other end" she has the opportunity to be OK.

12 comments:

willywagtail said...

I held my late in the year babies back. The only downside is that they are older than most in the class at year 12. But I firmly believe that there is only so much the average little one can take in. They may be ready academically but not socially and so they are madly learning but getting bullied. Or they are socially ready but not academically and they get in trouble for talking too much. etc Cherrie

Mari said...

I've been teaching for almost 20 years now (mostly with 5-8 yr olds) and you have absolutely made the right decision. I kept my own daughter back for the extra year and have no regrets at all. Our school psychologist, who also works at a senior high school, highly recommends it too. You're doing the right thing!

Michelle said...

It is such a tough decision isn't it. My January boy will be starting school next year but J have an April babe too (cut off here is 1 May) that we will need to think about. Much better planning to have babes just after the cut off date so there is no deicision.

the textured leaf said...

Definitely the best decision from my perspective, too

Anne said...

Fantastic decision Leonie. My sister is a kinder teacher and she sees so many kids who are not ready for school but the parents still make the choice to send them. The kids end up not coping at school and it's really not fair on them. I like the sound of bonus year rather than repeating. Has a lovely positive spin on it.
Have a good one,
Anne

Baa-Me Kniits said...

I held my youngest boy back as he was still only doing 3 days at the end of his prep year...too tired. Luckily I had the best teacher who was full of support and although I had to jump thru hoops for the system to keep him and extra year in prep this year has spoken for itself!! He has enjoyed the whole year and is writing and reading beautifully. He is tired now but I can only imagine how awful he would be if we had not held him back. You are definitely making the right decision :-) No regrets!!

Anonymous said...

You have definitely made the right decision, once they go to school they are gone and if you can get an extra year of more time with her jump at it!!! I had 2 march babies that waited to go to kinder and a june baby that I would have kept at home even longer if I could!!All are doing really well at school and I also like the idea of them turning 18 while they are still home with us before they head off to uni or jobs and start driving and drinking without any guidance.(if they listen that is!!)
enjoy your bonus year together
Jackie, the crazy lady that met you in Aldi a while ago

Sarah said...

It is so nice when you can put a thought to rest...

I did the same for my eldest - best decision so far (he is 12)

Miss Muggins said...

I love your perspective - a bonus year! I am a kinder teacher and most parents see it as "holding their child back". Only good can come from your decision, an extra year to consolidate skills, build confidence and readiness for the challenges of YEARS at school. Most parents say they would prefer their child to do 2 years of prep or Grade 6, than 2 years of kinder. ????
Their time at kinder is crucial for forming a confident and knowledgeable self identity, and working out how social groups function. What is the hurry? I ask parents...children are only small for such a short time.
Spread the word Leonie, kinder is ace!

Allison said...

I WISH I had kept my January baby back. Her kinder teachers couldn't see the need for it but still to this day (She starts Year 9 at high school in Feb) I will wonder if I did the right thing.

Amy said...

just made the same fricken decision, my dear.

Bax is having an extra kinder year too.

I can't believe how much I struggled with making the decision, but we're happy that we'll have one more with our little man.

xx

Sally said...

Isn't that wonderful... I love those moments when life delivers to you what you most need to hear. Fantastic.