Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fellow orchard growers.....HELP!!!!

Dave and I are a little concerned about our Apple and Plum trees. They have developed this mystery disease!! Have a look....



For some reason they look like they are shedding there skin, which is not usual behavior!



Any Ideas? We have had a massive increase of rain this year, could that be it? Could it be the stable straw they have been getting for the last 4 years?

The images above are of the Apple Tree, the Plum is splitting its bark and has huge die back!!!!

Note : I have a copy of What Garden Pest or Disease is That? and although I generally find it invaluable, this time I can't seem to find the answer.

Thanks Leonie x

4 comments:

willywagtail said...

http://www.ehow.com/list_5949254_diseases-apple-tree-trunk.html

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/tree/appledis.htm

Hope one of these is helpful. I just google the apple case not the pears. Cherrie

Rikki said...

It is, indeed, from your increased rain this year. There's not a whole lot you can do to keep it from raining, but you might want to (if you haven't already) clear away any dead leaves or other decomposing material.

The good news, it's not a disease. The bad news, the trees might not survive. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

We agree up here, wet feet! Not much you can do about it I'm afraid :-(

BusyBsewBiz said...

Dads has done the same after a huge period of rain, the ground is still sodden.