Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Homeland Security

I feel I should explain, I don't feel like I have to....I just want to.

When I began blogging it was a side interest for my business. I loved it (still do), I shared my journey of running a business from home, I plastered my name all over the place in order to get recognized and subsequently created a profitable venture. This is essential business management. It's expected that people know who they are dealing with and we (Dave and I) felt it vital that people understand our "Code of Ethics".



That was then...this is now.

Now I no longer run that business, there is no need for me to have my name everywhere and I do not need to be business minded.

So when a lady (lovely lady) came to me in the school yard and asked who I was and said she loved my blog....I was wrapped. Every blogger wants to hear that. It was the next bit that caught my breath....."I was out your way the other day and went looking for your house, I think I found it, tucked behind the trees."

Now...I did NOT feel threatened by this woman in any way, shape or form. I truly believe that it was as innocent as someone being in our area and just having a sticky. (I live in the Aussie bush, its quite common for people to ask you who you are, where you live, who owned your land before you, where are they now and who are you related to!) BUT....it raises the question.....What are the Bloggland security issues?

I have been blogging for a few years now and have never had a adverse experience BUT that is with the commenters who comment. Who is watching? The thing is WE DONT KNOW!

Let me be very clear in stating that I do not feel unsafe at all, I will not stop blogging, however I have removed all traces of my surname for the protection of our family.

Am I over reacting? I don't know. What I do know is, that Dave and I feel better and ultimately it's our decision.

Leonie xx

10 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

Yes I wonder about that too... I am ulisted in the phonebook etc but.... I do live in a small town... its a hard one.

willywagtail said...

Good point. I've thought of that when taking photos of the garden etc. I think you are wise, especially as you have a pretty little girl. Cherrie

Taylor Made said...

Just as long as you are able to keep blogging and sharing your wit, humor and beautiful photography. Thanks for making us all think about the issue.

Sarah said...

I totally follow you here. I know you were not threatened but even it took my breath away when I read the comment!

CurlyPops said...

I feel the same way - hence even though I do run a business, I've never used my full name on the blog, and I've never mentioned the suburb where I live.
Being a single woman living alone, I need to be extra careful!

Kate said...

Interesting stuff Leonie!
I've had one aweful experience where all my content was stolen and republished but other than that its been great. I do try and keep my DO blog separate though. I link from FL to DO but never back.
It is hard though because i think part of the secret to our limited success is our story. People like to buy the whole package.
Food for thought that's for sure.

Tania said...

The nice lady has made me wince. EEK. And sent me back down FreakOut Lane.

Michelle said...

Oh, I hear you! I think today's post is the first time I have put a photo of my FACE on my blog! Nothing is worse than those stalker types who come up to you and say "oh, about that shawl you made - I saw it on your blog" and Scott, not being a bloggy type of person gets quite embarassed. We are total privacy freaks. No facebook AT ALL. And I only just started tweeting but it's all private!

Good for you taking a stand. You have to do what you are comfortable doing.

Sally said...

I don't think anything bad would really come of it - we tell people we don't know our address, dates of birth and lots of information all the time. (I've been filling out lots and lots of forms lately!!!) BUT I think better safe than sorry. I don't put much personal specific details on my blog - mainly because my family are so screwed up I wouldn't want them to find me - I always write the children's names as E & M so that they can't be googled and I only share more detailed info about myself and my family once I've "got to know" a blogger. ... and yet I will share intimate thoughts, feelings and experiences.

For my part I think you've made the right decision.

Maxabella said...

I think it would be a very, very, very, very, very random event for some 'lurker' to track you down and do you harm... so, I honestly wouldn't give it any more thought or worry! x