Friday, May 6, 2011

Friday

I thought I would share today some images of where Dave is working.

This building was built in the 1800's and gives us a glimpse into early colonial "wool" days of Australia. It was purposely built as a kitchen and mess for traveling shearers. It has 2 rooms. One with a large table that could seat around 20 men (easy) and the other is the kitchen...


See in the image there is a fire place in the centre and 2 blue stone sections. The fire place originally contained a large combustion oven (see image below) and the blue stone sections contained 2 HUGE dome ovens that would put any modern day pizza oven to shame.

Can you just imagine, a stinking hot day, having to feed a load of hungry shearers and cooking in a room with 3 fires? You have to take your hat off to a shearers cook......they did (and still do) an amazing job!


And of course....every mess requires a block. Nothing like chopping the head off a chook or two.


Love to You and Yours. Leonie xx

8 comments:

Rattling On said...

Our first house had a range oven like that... and a bog standard gas one as well!
Love your pictures, so atmospheric, Not quite good enough to persuade me to work on a sheep station though...

**Anne** said...

I love your photos Leonie, especially the old mess as it stands.
I remember shearing days well as a kid. Growing up on a farm sure was busy at times and my poor mum was always cooking. There was morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea to cater for. My sister and I would take the tea tray loaded with goodies and the big teapot to the shearing shed and then we had to skedaddle 'cos shearers were known to be "SWEARING" men. :) No sooner was that done with and the shearers would be over to the house for lunch. I don't know how Mum did it. She is such treasure, still baking he little heart out but not for shearers thankfully.
Wishing a fantastic Mothers Day Leonie.
Anne xx

CurlyPops said...

So beautiful... those images take me back to my childhood. I lived in a small country town, and we would go away on weekend trail rides, staying in shearers quarters on farms. As kids we were always fascinated by the thunderboxes!

The Beetle Shack said...

I have just found your beautiful blog after reading your inspiring comment over at chunky chooky. I see parallels in our lives, I also am kept by a Dave and am raising wild children.

Your blog looks inspiring- cant wait to 'follow' along. Going to check out that super looking tomato sauce now ( you dont happen to love River Cottage, do you?)

xo em

Cindy said...

I love a bluestone building - I live in Williamstown and see bluestone everywhere, it amazes me and makes me feel sad when I see people painting over this beautiful stone. I love history untouched - this images are wonderful.

Michelle said...

Beautiful photos Leonie. What amazing building, I would love to cook for hungry shearers in such a beautiful space!

xx

Amy said...

wicked snaps, Leonie.

I love the tale it tells without saying anything at all.

Buildings like that always leave me wondering about the stories it would tell.


xx A

wholelarderlove.com said...

Where is this place? I want to buy it!