Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Creative Space

This week I'm in the garden with my little grubby billed mates......mulching.



One of our neighbors is an Arborist and Arborist's have waste.....tree waste....loads of it. So.....every now and again we get the magic call.........."I've got a full load on. Do you want me to drop it off?" Yes please....Do you wanna PUMPKIN??? He has 4 kids...Of course he wants a pumpkin!!

NOW before you go hijacking your local arborist for waste, you may need to understand the size of the truck and the mulch system. Green waste is not too flash on the garden as it depletes the soil of essential nutrients. You need to have a place to rest the green so it can convert into the brown. We live on 2 acres, so a load of mulch is ok to sit in a pile for 6-12 months baking away. If you're in town then 5-6 meters of green waste is not ideal. See image below....



For those of you on land - Take one load of 5-6 meters of mulch, let it cook and reduce for around (my minimum) 6 months. You should end up with 3-4 meters of good partially broken down softish mulch (depending on the type of trees). Personally, I like to rest mine for up-to 12 months. I like to see worms when I dig in, then I know it's juicy and ready.

Note : We do not use this mulch on the veggie garden, I find it a little harsh. We use waste stable straw from one of the local horse trainers. PERFECT ARRANGEMENT. He gets pumpkins too!

For more fun, grab a cup-pa and pop over to Our Creative Spaces.

15 comments:

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

We love the local aborists, Chef got one of these massive loads of mulch for his birthday!

Lisa said...

oh the ducks are just the cutest!!!!!

beck said...

I saw your ducks on the thumbnail and just had to come and have a look! They are just gorgeous, what breed are they? Come say hi and check out my Indian Runners. Your mulch looks ace, what a great idea. Where abouts are you in Vic? I'll pop by again and say hello xo

beck said...

Silly me, I see we've met before! It's been a while and you've changed blog names...:)

**Anne** said...

Love the free mulch. And look at the dirty bills on those gorgeous ducks. I wonder what they've been doing? They look as happy as pigs in mud!
Anne xx

Sarah said...

Send me some gardening mojo PLEASE!

greenthumb said...

Those dirty billed ducks are so cute. What a nice neighbor you have

Adie Andrews said...

What a gorgeous pictures :) I love it

The Beetle Shack said...

some sweet deals you have going on.

Jodie said...

As a non gardener I hope you won't be offended but all I read is "gorgeous ducks- aren't they gorgeous"..."pumkin"..."gorgeous ducks I want a duck I really need a duck"...pumkin...

Amy said...

did the same thing over the weekend.

Holy crap - look at all of those pumpkins! Did they take up your entire property!? We had a very poor pumpkin season. Might have to get you to save me some of those seeds. They look terrific.

Need any pumpkin recipes? I've got a good load of 'em.

xx

Alisa : Ink Caravan said...

Ducks and pumpkin peddling?! Never a dull moment! Thinking about turfing the city for the country life although I'm not sure if my townhouse ways are gonna cut it… I guess I could just keep reading Cuppa and Cake for top countrymouse tips. : )
Have a great weekend Leonie xx

Shelley Cartoons said...

Clever girl!
handsome ducks too.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Those ducks bills....where have they been!

Tania said...

Who would thunk pumpkins could barter so much? Pumpkinly impressed beyond measure, I am.