Monday, March 19, 2012

Economically Viable and Sustainable

Sometimes I get a little tired of the pressure of being a eco, green, envio, sustainable human in the 21st century. I get overwhelmed with informative opinions on what is right, what is wrong, what needs to change, what can we do, what aren't we doing, how can we do it and what effect is it going to have on the future. It's all a bit much to be honest.

I'm not an academic, I do not posses a high level of intelligence.....however....I carry good common sense and practicality with me most days.

Which brings me to our winter power bill, when common sense disappeared for a while. The year before last it was $800....HUGE. Last year $400....BETTER. What did I do? I looked to the past for answers rather than trying to invent a new brilliant modern environmentally sustainable system.

Hot water bottles and woolen blankets did it. Dave and I were running up to date, good star rating, radiant heaters in the kids rooms over night. In hindsight their beds needed to be warm and toasty not their rooms. They now sleep with their doors open so the heat from the wood fires can enter their rooms and this year they will be tucked in with all this handmade goodness.

I didn't need a professor to tell me this, I needed a mother of the early 1900's to give me the tools of the trade. I wish there was a book so we didn't have to re-discover the basics all over again.

15 comments:

willywagtail said...

I've always been of the opinion that commonsense beats intelligence, especially of the academic kind. There are a few books around with old fashioned ideas but mostly the people were hardier and trained from infancy to cope. Can you imagine an aboriginal in a wind tight humpy piled around with skins like an inuit. No. They just learned to tolerate more and get on with it. Or went walkabout to warmer climes when they could. Cherrie

Maxabella said...

An old fashioned solution that will never go out of style.

I'm trying to figure out how to reduce my electricity consumption too. We don't use electricity for heating (but a little for cooling he upstairs bedrooms right before bed on a really hot night). There are other suckers around here. Solar panels are expensive and I KNOW we don't need that bloody pool, but... x

katiecrackernuts said...

Whoa, that was a big bill season before last. Ours are never big and for the same reasons. We heat living spaces we're in and when we go to bed we have warm beds, hot water bottles, etc. Toasty.

Baa-Me Kniits said...

That looks so warm and toasty I want to go to bed right now! We do the same and I also have the cat...never sleep without the cat :-)

Sarah said...

WOW I am surprised it made that much difference!!!

The problem I am having - even using less power our bill is still rising as cost is going up uP UPPPpppp

ARGH

But I hear you re all the stuff. I challange mysel when I go shopping... Do I buy non organic local or mainland or organic overseas... DO I buy a company that is all Australian or organic mainland.

We got gass installed which is doing our hot water at the moment. I really wanted to go solar for that but this has been the compromise. Maybe in the future we can change this and gas still can be used with cooking etc...

mel @ loved handmade said...

Perfect! and much more cosy than heaters during the night..

'Joyce' said...

Love it, looking forward to winter just by looking at this photo. I have stocked up on blankies over the last few winters, and this year we are set. woo hoo. No need to get hot water bottles for our place (Mid north coast of NSW), however, the boys beds have flannel sheets in the cooler weather and I am going to hook us up some snuggly little slippers.

**Anne** said...

Love your photo of the hotties and quilts. Makes me feel all cosy to look at them.
Anne xx

Sally said...

Hear hear! Too right Leonie. I'm baffled by people who have heaters running all the time yet wear a t-shirt round the house. Why not put a jumper on first ... and then if you need it turn the heater on. People over here talk of sleeping with the air con on all night with their doonas!!! Hello!!! Sleep on top of the bed with the window open!!!

Sally said...

Great water bottle covers and blankets too by the way...

annie said...

We have neighbours that run their air con day and night winter and summer. I just don't get it! There is nothing cosier than a warm heat source in a winter bed. I go with the wheat pack! Your wood fires sound lovely too!
I lost you for a while there. Nice to find you again!

Christie said...

Yep, we are big fans of hot water bottles here, in fact that reminds me that I need to knit a few more covers before it gets chilly!

I'm sure I read somewhere that you get a better nights sleep if your bed is warm & cosy but your room itself isn't.

Katie and Reuben said...

I love this post! So very true. We love our hot water bottles and blankets and never keep the heater going through the night - if the bed is toasty and warm there is just no need to! And it definitely helps keep our power bills down :)

Katie x

Maggie said...

I adore my hot water bottles! It's probably high time I made some sort of cover instead of just shoving it in a pillowcase. Electric blankets and their electromagnetic field just creep me out, I try to limit the electronics in the bedroom, but my feet do get chilly!

Amy said...

you are such a sensible sally!

Oh goodness - the colours. DIVINE - and happy.
xx