Thursday, March 22, 2012

So Leonie.....What do YOU do?

For YEARS I've had trouble answering this question.

I'm a stay at home mum....Their eyes glass over.
Domestic Engineering.......They look at me like I'm some kind of tosser.
I'm not actually sure what I do.....They walk away and go talk to someone else.

NOW.....after returning to the casual workforce, I find the answer that is right for me.

I MANAGE home mainly.....and I work casually a couple of days per month. Now I am greeted with this sense of understanding from both women and men. They seem to get that managing a home is big and complicated. Its not just about kids, it's about everything I do.




Its only taken me 11 years of being a stay at home mum to figure it out....the pointy ends aren't very sharp over in my patch!

6 comments:

Carmel Morris said...

Haha - I get "You must have your hands full" and then in the same breath, "What do you do all day?"

mel @ loved handmade said...

HERE, HERE!! I hate that question, and most recently 'when are you going back to work?' I really struggle not to feel guilty but more & more I'm getting frustrated at these people for making this job of a SAHM so under valued in our society..argh, don't get me started! x

Jenny from Ohjoh said...

Love it! Will be using it from now on - hope that's OK.


Yours sincerely
Jenny
General Manager - Home

monique's mess said...

Until I met my husband the question of what do you do came last to my mind when meeting a person, to be engaged in a conversation with someone with out pretence and expectation is a great joy. the only reason I started asking people what do they do is because it was the first question he would ask when I spoke about someone new, as if that was the whole sum of the person. Being undecided offers so much opportunity to be creative and one of the greatest joys and privileges is to be a mother.

CurlyPops said...

I really dread that question, even though sometimes I do ask it of myself.

Sarah said...

I just do not understand why people have an opinion about this...

I think they are jealous or ignorant or have not gone down that track.

Shesh people.