Monday, August 18, 2014

Always ask the chick with dirt under her fingernails!

As most of you are aware, I have been having a frustrating Pumpkin Issue. So I sent the mayday call out to one of our very own (local) gardening gurus Kylie @ The Place of Wonder. She has kindly informed me that I have been waiting too long to pick my gems. I need to pick them when the "stem becomes corky, just before the vine leaf starts to turn". HALLELUJAH!!

So to celebrate my new found wisdom, I feel we should all dine upon some PUMPKIN SOUP!

There's a tale to tell about this recipe...........

A few years back, I was at our local store picking up my mail. One of the older members of our community was there and she very kindly placed her hand on my arm, when she overheard me saying, I was making Pumpkin Soup and said.......

"Leonie, Pumpkin Soup must always taste like Pumpkins.........All you need is onion and chicken stock. Nothing more, nothing less."

So to celebrate the country living of my locals, who just recently sold the last of their 150 farming acres "because its become a little much now" (they are in their 80's!!!!) I'll share this recipe.

Take One Pumpkin (I use Jap or QLD Blue)

2 Onions (you can add more if you want)

2 Cubes off Chicken Stock. (again...add more if you wish)

Serve with Sour Cream and some Chives from the garden if you want it look a little posh.

DONE!! Pumpkin soup that tastes like PUMPKINS!!

2 comments:

tracie @ beets+birch said...

lovely! so glad you have that pumpkin business sorted out! i haven't grown pumpkins in many years now.
fall for us means pumpkin mania. sadly they are particularly few and far between in finland (it's just not their thing) but i sourced 1 place to buy them at a reasonable price and fill my shopping cart and squeal out loud which makes me look/sound like a damn fool.
the finns look at me like... ummmm wonder what that's all about??? me singing... MINE ALLLLLLL MINE!!! la-la-la-la!!!!! :D

Jenny said...

Ah, Leonie, so true! How interesting that recipes get 'pimped' beyond recognition. Have had pumpkin soup with chilli, ginger, blah, blah, blah.... But my favourite recipe has pumpkin, onion, chicken stock (and a couple of potatoes) Just divine, and tastes like pumpkin! Might leave out the spuds next time ;) Thanks.