Monday, August 11, 2014

Hearty Jam Drops for Hungry Farmers (Gluten Free Options)

Being a part of a little bush town you tend to get lassoed into helping out. As a member of the local Hall Committee (Why? Because Country Halls are super important to us), I've been roped into cooking for some hungry farmers, while they learn all about...well....farming stuff.

Alas, no time like the present to bring out the trusty "Jam Drops" recipe.

NOTE : Feel free to double this recipe if your catering for a crowd. The below measurements should make around 25 biscuits.

JAM DROPS

125g Butter

3/4 Cup Sugar (I use raw)

2 eggs (I use Duck for some extra puff!)

2 Cups Self Raising Flour (I use wholemeal, so it sticks to their ribs a bit more. GF Flour can also be used)

Jam (I make my own Jam using Fowlers Jam Setter which is GF)

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well. Mix in sifted flour. Roll into stiff balls the size of a walnut. Place on greased/papered oven trays. Stick your finger into the dough to make a little well and fill with a dollop of Jam. Like so.........

Bake in moderate oven for 10 - 15 or until they have a nice little sun tan.

Hot cuppa just perfect for dunking and your done. Enjoy.

1 comment:

**Anne** said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe Leonie. I love jam drops although haven't made any for a while, next on my baking list. Farmers sure are hungry people. I remember Mum baking for shearers, a non stop job that seemed to last for days. It was scones, cakes and biscuits and sometime sandwiches too for the hungry workers. My sister and I were allowed to take over the morning and afternoon tea tray to the shearing shed but not allowed to stay because the shearers swore and we might get corrupted. Hahaha, it's quite funny when I think of it now. Thanks for bringing back some lovely memories.
Anne xx