Wednesday, August 13, 2014

HELP - My pumpkins have got the rots!!

I have waxed them, left them in the yard still on the vine, sat them on their side, sat them on top of a wire cut brick, swung them from net bags in the shed roof, stored them in the roof next to the chimney, stored them ON the roof, I have done EVERYTHING....they are still rotting!!

This year.....I'm trying straw. I've lost one already and I'm not happy.

If anyone has any suggestions...please feel free to hand them on. I'm not in a position to purchase cold storage or to build a cellar.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Do you have a way to dehydrate them?

http://www.frugalupstate.com/crafts-diy/diy-how-to-dehydrate-pumpkin/

Let me say that the fruit leather sheets make cleaning up the dehydrator trays easier.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,
Here is Sth Tassie it is the same battle,I keep some
For using fresh for as long as they will keep, and the rest I roast and freeze in bags for pasta sauce etc ,chop and boil and freeze in portions for soup esp. Minestrone, make up pumpkin and red lentil soup and freeze.Pumpkin chutney and pumpkin spice cake.After all that we don't want to see another pumpkin until next season.
Enjoy all that pumpkin,
Jude

Anonymous said...

Hi ,
Here is Sth Tassie it is the same battle,I keep some
For using fresh for as long as they will keep, and the rest I roast and freeze in bags for pasta sauce etc ,chop and boil and freeze in portions for soup esp. Minestrone, make up pumpkin and red lentil soup and freeze.Pumpkin chutney and pumpkin spice cake.After all that we don't want to see another pumpkin until next season.
Enjoy all that pumpkin,
Jude