Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Strike a Pose

This year I did it. I cut a heap of cuttings and had a go. AND IT WORKED!!!!

Not only are the gaps all filled in my garden but my bank balance is a lot healthier.

Heres to give you a bit of an idea.

I struck 80 Plants (cuttings from neighbours, relies, friends, my own garden) into 6 Inch pots.

Cost at Nursery : $11 per pot

Lost about 20 plants.....just didn't survive, I don't know why and I'm not really worried about it.

60 x $11.00 = $660.00 Saving.

MY TIPS.

Pinch the good dirt out of the veggie patch and you will have more chance for success.

Oh...and if you think I fluffed around with root starter and all that other stuff think again. I simply cut the cutting and shoved it in the pot.

Add water when looking a little dry.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Love your work! I have never been game to try this, for fear of not knowing how to use root starters etc etc, so this head-first approach suits me. I am going to try it.

tracie @ beets+birch said...

i love a happy ending!

i have a bit of a green thumb too!
i love to take clippings from the mothership and grow babies!

i mostly go the water rooting method with houseplants... no yard to garden in any more.

my latest success was with huge fiddlehead ficus leaves. now i need to make 6 friends to give them to. i don't have room for 6 trees in my flat!!
experiment gone mad!

doll i hope your feeling back to you these days!

Michelle said...

Totally awesome....almost sounds do-able for me and my non-green plant killing thumbs! Love thrifty gardening tips like this.

Rachaeldaisy said...

Good for you going cutting crazy and creating lots of new plants!! I have a thrifty garden, it's a bit hodgepodge but that's okay.

stonefruit season said...

Fantastic stuff Leonie! I've struck a fair bit of rosemary and daisy bushes, have to get more serious and start up a few salvias. I still buy plants as we're starting the garden from scratch and I'm planning on doing more propagating to fill out the rest now...