Thursday, July 2, 2015

I'm a bit of a mess...

I have just had to put my dear old dog Jack down. 

He was 19 years old, he was sore, tired, blind and hard of hearing.  He deserved to have his life end in a dignified manner. 

I am sad and I will be for quite some time, but having the green dream put him to sleep so peacefully, it was just.....how can I say....beautiful? 

I have been involved in some pretty hard palliative care situations (not sure if there is ever an easy one) and I have to wonder, are we treating people with the dignity they deserve? 

I'm not so sure we are. 

Dearest Jack, Your time has come, you may now rest in peace my old friend.  xx




7 comments:

monique's mess said...

wow 19 years. it is such a privilege to spend time with such amiable and faithful companions. Sympathy and hugs. I miss the sound of the patter of paws down the path when my dog passed...hoping the memories are good and your friends support you in your loss. Moniquex

Judy said...

Hugs to all of you!

You are right, we don't allow the same dignity to our fellow humans. That's why hospice is such a blessing in the USofA.

Jodie said...

What a lucky boy to have had you for his family for such a long time. There are no words, but I am thinking of you.

Tas said...

Such a tough time. So glad that Jack passed on peacefully.

As a vet in a previous life, I always considered it a privilege to be able to help pets and their family have the most comfortable, peaceful experience at this time. We are lucky to be able to help pets avoid extended and unnecessary suffering. xx

Allison said...

Thinking of you all Leonie. But I agree it is a very peaceful way to go. If my time comes, I hope I slip away with someone holding my hand (paw) and face, and looking into my eyes as they fall shut. I've done this for two of my dogs (welling up now), still remember those particular days vividly.

I hope Layla is comforting and cheering you.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

We would all choose a peaceful and painfree end for ourselves , so it seems only fair to allow our pets the same . But it doesn't make the loss any less painful .

Here in Holland euthanasia is legal as long as strict rules are adhered to , which , the older I get , is increasingly reassuring .

Deb said...

I have just now read this and am so sorry. It is never easy making this type of decision. I have had to make it several times myself. Our beloved cat, Keeko, left us in December last. Hugs to you.